Free SEO Tips
Suggestions for optimizing your website for Search Engines
There are dozens of things you can do to affect you search engine ranking. Here are our top 5 tips to improve your ranking:
1. Ensure your most important keywords are in the Title Tags of your website. Your HTML Title Tags should reflect the key terms you want your page to be found for. Ensure that your page titles are unique and reflect the content of the actual page. No one is going to enter in "Contact US" into Google to find your services so this should not be the only thing your page title says. They should contain your top 1 or 2 keyword phrases and should contain the most important ones first. This is the most strategic place to insert your keywords that holds the most value to search engines.
2. Obtain quality, inbound links from other websites with relatable content. Think of a web page as a town. If a city has freeways, airports, train stations, bus shelters and a port, that's a good indicator that it is an important hub. To get the most “weight”, the content of the linking site should be relatable and relevant to the content on your page. Also, the higher the PageRank of the website linking to you, the better.
3. Ensure your web copy on each page contains your keywords. This is an often overlooked strategy and a very costly one. Your keywords should be incorporated in your copy so that the engines can read them but not so many times that the copy sounds awkward or obvious. Your copy should be clear, accurate and should describe the products and or services you provide in a useful manner.
4. Insert your keywords into Anchor Text of Inbound Links. When obtaining a link from another site, always aim to have the anchor text (the text that is hyperlinked to your site) and/or the text around the anchor text to contain your most important keywords. Remember, the best links are those from high quality, highly ranked pages with a topic related to your site.
5. Submit your site to directories. There are several directories that you can list your business with for free. Submit your site to www.Dmoz.com, www.SuperPages.com, Google Local / Maps, and www.bizhwy.com for instance. These sites will allow you to link to your website, which can only help your ranking with the search engines. You can search for other local directories as well by going to Google and searching for your city name and “business directory” for instance. Citysearch.com is a popular local directory as well as DigitalCity.com, and Yahoo.com.
It's worth taking the time to make your site more search engine friendly, because some simple changes may pay off with big results. Even if you don't come up in the top ten for your target keywords, you may find an improvement for target keywords you aren't anticipating.
Also, remember that while search engines are a primary way people look for web sites, but they are not the only way. People also find sites through word-of-mouth, traditional advertising, the traditional media, newsgroup postings, web directories and links from other sites. Many times, these alternative forms are far more effective draws than are search engines.